b-hebrew - Re: Question: Off topic? More

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Question: Off topic? More
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 07:01:14 -0500

Hello, Yes , it seems a little strange to hear that the Biblical translators
are "informed by the Spirit". With due and great respect, I remember that
the most traditional Handbooks of Biblical Hermeneutics ( Anglican, Roman
Catholics, etc) always said that the Biblical Writers were inspired by the
Spirit but not the Translators.

However the Jews do not share this belief, as far as our commentators go - we believe that they - the transmitters of the Oral Torah - (which is not only an elaboration of Jewish law, as someone once said here on this list) were divinely inspired.

Shoshanna

Otherwise this is other subject: I was , as
student, very impressed by the research of L. Alonso Schökel about Biblical
Inspiration ( The Word as Inspired, etc), etc.

I agree with Ms. Fried about "theologies and prejudices": this expression
implies a whole History of the Biblical Interpretation and Translation.

Enjoying as always this very interesting List,

sincerely yours, F. J. Weismann, weismann AT fibertel.com.ar