b-hebrew - Re: Question: Off topic? More

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Question: Off topic? More
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:28:38 -0500

At 03:05 AM 3/15/02 -0500, Randall Buth wrote:
shalom Moshe,
>All translations involve compromises and
>hard decisions, knowing that you are doomed to err because the two
>languages, Hebrew and English are so different. (BTW this is not the case
>with Arabic, or other Semitic translations.)
<
I would prefer to say "all translations". I am always disappointed with the
Arabic translations. A related language is still a different language, a
different
network of 'spaghetti'. And the culture is different. And history. A
language
encodes a culture, a culture is encoded in a language. You cannot truly
know one without the other.

I understand this. However the difference between English and Hebrew is many times greater. I do not know Arabic at all, but I can recognize some of the words when I hear them as being the similar to Hebrew.

moshe shulman mshulman AT NOSPAMix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh http://www.chassidus.net
Chassidus shiur: chassidus-subscribe AT chassidus.net
Chassidus discussion list: chassidus-subscribe AT egroups.com
Outreach Judaism http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254 Yahoo/MSN Messaging: mosheshulman