b-hebrew - Re: bereshit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: bereshit
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:10:02 +0100

>Ian, if you really want to talk about only verse 1, independent of its
>context on the basis that it is a self-standing unit, why did you offer
>to Paul the following translations of verses 1-3 in which verse 1 is
>syntactically linked to verse 2?

Paul asked for a rendering and I gave two (which you
say are "not impossible").

I could have supplied a third:

"In the beginning when God created the heavens and the
earth, the eath was without form and void, darkness
was on the deep and the wind of God was hovering over
the waters. And God said, "Let there be light."

>If verse 1 is not a separate unit, it
>can only be understood in its context, which is what I was discussing.

One works from the data first, then puts it in context.

>But I am not going to do so any more.

By your saying that my rendering was not impossible,
I take it that you don't exclude the position on
linguistic grounds, which is essentially what I was
looking for.

Ian