b-hebrew - RE: bereshit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Ian Hutchesson'" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Cc: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:09:15 -0000

Ian, I resent your implication that my "analysis is not from the text".
I am trying to understand the text according to the best possible
analysis of the Hebrew.

In the two translations you just offered to Paul you confirm what I
thought you were saying earlier, that in your opinion the whole of verse
2 is dependent on bereshit. This is the hypothesis I am arguing against.
So when you say that I "require for some unclear reason that the first
verse be syntactically attached to what follows," the reason is simply
that that is what you have proposed. There may be an alternative
hypothesis that verse 1 is a detached fragment like a descriptive
heading, but we are not discussing that one.

You claim that I am "not willing to deal with the numerous cases of b-
noun governed clauses". I accept that there are many such cases where
there is one clause with an infinitive construct, and perhaps a few
cases of a sequence of clauses starting with an infinitive construct
continued by a WAYYIQTOL. I looked at one specific example, Numbers 7:1,
and showed that it is ambiguous and your understanding has been rejected
by two quite independent recent translation teams. No one has offered an
example in which more than one clause is governed by b-noun and the
second clause is not WAYYIQTOL. Until they do, I continue to maintain
that your analysis of Genesis 1:1-2 is syntactically unique. Mine is
also unique, I accept, but lexical uniqueness is far more common than
syntactic uniqueness.

Peter Kirk