b-hebrew - RE: bereshit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Ian Hutchesson'" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 01:04:25 -0000

Ian, you cannot be serious! The formal distinction between nouns and
verbs may be a "modern" one (though not very modern) but linguists
recognise this as one of the few fundamental universals of all human
languages. There clearly is such a distinction in Hebrew, as can be
demonstrated even from unpointed texts, and from the uniformity of the
separate noun and verb morphologies of the various Semitic languages
which diverged long before the biblical period. Of course there are
individual cases in (especially unpointed) Hebrew texts, as in English
and most languages, where a word out of context could be either a noun
or a verb; and I would accept that sometimes nouns have been wrongly
pointed as verbs or vice versa. But it is impossible to deny that there
was a real distinction between nouns and verbs in BH.

Also, I quite deliberately wrote "seems" in "Gen 1:1 seems to be a
unique construction with no exact parallels", though "as far as I know"
would have been more precise. No one in this debate or previous ones has
quoted any exact parallels, and indeed if we require parallels with
bereshit as the first word there are certainly none. You have found some
examples which are quite closely parallel but not exactly so, and I have
discussed them. I invite you and others on the list to submit other
close parallels, especially of the form B-noun verb subject object
W-subject verb... (noun is temporal, no article, absolute or construct).

Peter Kirk