b-hebrew - Re: bereshit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: bereshit
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:58:47 +0100

>Doesn't "bereshit" sound like what you would find in the woods after the
>bear comes out?

I do not appreciate this sort of "humour".

>My question is about Genesis 1:1. Are the seven Hebrew words a complete
>statement or any there any reason to continue to verse two.

This is what the title of this thread was aimed at
investigating.

>That is is verse
>one a complete statement and verse 2 and following speak of a restoration
>that was necessary because of the rebellion of Lucifer/Satan.

There is no talk of Lucifer or Satan in the text.
Lucifer in the one mention found in the OT/HB is
used to refer to Venus, the daystar, and
indirectly to Nebuchadnezzar. Satan, as a name is
not found in the OT/HB with the exception of Chr.
if I remember correctly, which doesn't make much
groundwork for understanding Gen 1:1-2.

The text makes clear that creation stated when God
said, "Let there be light" and the first day
started. The OT/HB says elsewhere that God does not
create confusion.

Ian