b-hebrew - RE: bereshit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Ian Hutchesson'" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:38:55 -0000

No, Ian, my silence does not imply consent. You may well be right that
the first creative act was "Let there be light!". The problem is that
that begs the question of the origin of the formless earth and waters.
Of course you can argue that the author of Genesis had nothing to say
about this.

I accept that if you look at verse 1 alone bereshit could mean what you
say, but in my opinion that causes so many problems when the context is
widened that an alternative understanding has to be preferred.

Ecclesiastes 12:3 is an interesting case, but differs from Genesis 1:1-2
in that there is a relative pronoun she-. You might be able to argue
that there is an implicit or elided relative pronoun in Genesis 1:1,
which would at least regularise the syntax.

You seem to have moved the goalposts by demanding that a parallel must
be not just b- plus a syntactically absolute noun but that it must also
be semantically unqualified. But barishona is used in this sense,
absolute and unqualified e.g. Gen 13:4.

Peter Kirk

The