b-hebrew - RE: bereshit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Lawrence May'" <lgmay AT mindspring.com>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:19:55 -0000

Lawrence, I have been arguing that verse 1 is a self-contained sentence,
against Ian who seems convinced that it isn't but hasn't produced any
convincing evidence, just what you might find in a field where a bull
had been. (It's all in the bulls and the bears, Ian! ;-) )

That doesn't mean that I accept your theory about a recreation or any
temporal break between verses 1 and 2. In fact I would prefer to suggest
that verse 1 is a summary of the whole of chapter 1, which is then given
in more detail in vv.2ff. But it is hard to prove this.

Peter Kirk