b-hebrew - RE: bereshit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Ian Hutchesson'" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:42:14 -0000

Ian,

Time only for a quick response here:

Gen 1:1 seems to be a unique construction with no exact parallels. So we
must allow something unusual to be happening. We can't be sure of the
construction, I realise. But here are some more points which seem to
lean towards bereshit as an absolute followed by a main clause:

1) BERESHIT as an absolute is syntactically quite normal, indeed very
common. It happens not to be attested elsewhere for this rare noun in a
limited corpus. But there is no syntactic abnormality. The possible
semantic abnormality is resolved if we realise that here, but nowhere
else, the meaning is the beginning in an absolue sense, the beginning of
all things, rather than the beginning of a sepcified period. Though I
realise that one could object to that resolution as based
anachronistically on later philosophy - which begs lots of questions
about dating and about how little we know about ancient Hebrew
philosophy.

2) KIY is a subordinating conjunction which normally governs one clause
and can (as you point out) govern a set of coordinated clauses. But this
is syntactically quite different from B- plus a noun in the construct
state, which normally governs a noun phrase i.e. an absolute noun or an
extended construct chain. I accept that there are a few apparent cases
of B- plus construct governing a single finite clause, and Numbers 7:1
and 1 Kings 2:42 may be cases of it governing a series of coordinated
clauses (with an infinitive in the first clause). But the evidence from
KIY is irrelevant.

Num 7:1 (JPS Tanakh 1985): On the day that Moses finished setting up the
Tabernacle, he anointed it and consecrated it and all its furnishings,
as well as the altar and its utensils. When he had anointed and
consecrated them...

Num 7:1 (NIV): When Moses finished setting up the tabernacle, he
anointed it and consecrated it and all its furnishings. He also anointed
and consecrated the altar and all its utensils.

Peter Kirk