b-hebrew - RE: Hebrew Unicode

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "John Richards" <jhr AT universalist.worldonline.co.uk>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Hebrew Unicode
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:13:08 -0500

Unicode does standardise things, rigorously so - which means that (in the
encoding) vowels must be AFTER the consonant. If this TITUS font works
correctly the other way round, it is not conformant to Unicode.

The problem is simply that there are (as far as I know) no Unicode fonts
currently available which support pointed Hebrew properly. TNR and Arial
certainly do not. David seems to do quite well, so does Miriam I think. But
the holem is a special problem because it has to be in a different place
over a lamed. Microsoft's new Uniscribe technology does allow such a proper
Hebrew font to be made, and I understand that Microsoft is working on such a
font, planning to release it with the next version of Office. SIL may also
produce such a font.

For now, probably the best you can do is to use David or Miriam. Or maybe
there are alternatives available in Israel. Can anyone give more
information? What we want is any font which properly displays Hebrew with
vowel points with Windows 95/98 and Word 97/2000.

Peter Kirk