b-hebrew - Re: FW: Just a clarification

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FW: Just a clarification
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 12:27:50 -0500

There are two reasons why I am avoiding discussion of the Assyrian
chronological evidence:

1) It is not directly relevant to the part of Rohl's thesis which I
have presented, which is largely independent of absolute dating;

2) I admit that I am not competent to discuss it, so all I can do is
accept the data as you present it.

As for your "Why Saul? Why not Jeroboam?" question, it is a good one.
I suggest again that you should not comment on the lack of evidence
for Rohl's theories if you have not read his full presentation. My
presentation of his views is incomplete and inadequate. Rohl's own
answer would no doubt depend partly on his absolute dating and partly
on the general correspondence he makes between the Amarna period and
its aftermath with the United Monarchy period. There is also the
matter of Rameses II's attack on Shalem in his eighth year (I think,
from memory now) which Rohl identifies with the attack on Jerusalem by
"Shishak" in the time of Rehoboam. Not conclusive, maybe, but part of
a consistent overall picture, according to Rohl.

Peter Kirk