b-hebrew - RE: Re[2]: FW: Just a clarification

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: FW: Just a clarification
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 23:23:40 +0100

Peter,

I think that you should pay a lot of attention to Kitchen's way of killing
Rohl. And you are not discussing the rather harmful (to Rohl) evidence I
presented. Do you really neen more than those letters?

As I said many times, chronology is not dark. Assyrian chronology links up
with Babylonian that links up with the Persian that links up with the Greek
that links up with the Roman, and on the other end, Assyrian chronology goes
together with the Baylonian, and Babylonian and Assyrian link up with
Hittite and with Egyptian. We are in the LBA, and there are still some
problems, realizing that Ramesses II has been moved down in time by some 30
years, from 1304 to, I believe 1279 and even 1272. But that shows the radius
of variance. Basically Landsberger and Albright got most of it right.

I think you should pay attention to Ian's advice and start becoming
acquainted with the professional stuff. Then one day you may persuade me to
deal in a serious way with the amateurish one. But as you wrote in another
mail, Rohl probably made a living of it. That is one of the parasite ways of
earning money from other peoples work, by denouncing it publicly to a
auditorium of laypeople who do not themselves know. Velokovski was very
successfull, and von Däniken earned a lot of money. Baigent and Lee too. To
earn money is normally an honest business, so I do not blame them for that.

NPL