sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 2.5.x kernel and NVIDIA_nforce spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: Wolfgang Scheicher <worf AT sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, John T Copeland <johnc AT neto.com>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 2.5.x kernel and NVIDIA_nforce spell
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 13:35:57 -0400

Wolfgang Scheicher wrote:

Did you:
<*> AMD Viper support
"This driver adds explicit support for AMD-7xx and AMD-8111 chips and also for the nVidia nForce chip. This allows the kernel to change PIO, DMA and UDMA speeds and to configure the chip to optimum performance."
dmesg | grep NFORCE

2.5.74 has"native support" for the nforce2 chipset. It recognizes it,
and reports it in dmesg. It turns on DMA for PATA but does not turn DMA
on for SATA. However, you can turn SATA DMA with hdparm. Also the ide
controllers are numbered correctly; ie, ide0/ide1 are PATA and ide2/ide3
are SATA.

hmmm...
dmesg | grep NFORCE
NFORCE2: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:09.0
NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
NFORCE2: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
(kernel 2.4.21 vanilla, no binary nforce driver)

Could you please explain why (and if) NVIDIA_nforce code is needed to handle nForce chipset in 2.4.21, if this AMD Viper thing detects it? Or is it just for IDE so network and sound are still unsupported? I have dual NICs built in, nForce and 3COM 920, and I'm happy with the 3COM one, so I guess I will only be missing the sound if I don't use NVIDIA_nforce, right?
Thanks!

Sergey.