sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 2.5.x kernel and NVIDIA_nforce spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: John T Copeland <johnc AT neto.com>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: Wolfgang Scheicher <worf AT sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>, SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 2.5.x kernel and NVIDIA_nforce spell
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 12:22:14 -0500

OK, both my 100MHz goes to udma5 also, NOW. While upgrading my BIOS, I
had to revert to the safe defaults to get my box to boot again. After
resetting some BIOS parms I forgot to check the UDMA settings for the
IDE controllers. It finally dawned on me, and sure enough the settings
were not set to AUTO. After I reset to AUTO, all is OK.

However, my SATA drive still does not come up in UDMA6 mode, though it
can be set later afer boot. Oh well.

Don't try to do too many things at one time! Why don't we ever learn this?
JohnC

Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:

Just to confirm that my drive goes to 100 MHz automatically, and two CD drives
(DVD and CD-RW) are at 33. What you may have is a slow and a fast drive
connected to the same IDE bus. When we bought new PCs recently, they connected
the hard drive and the CD-RW to the IDE0 channel. I reconnected the RW to IDE1
as a slave to the DVD-ROM drive, and I also had to /remove" the jumber switch
in
the HDD altogether, otherwise it wouldn't boot.