market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Earthway Seeder and Haikui Turnips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Earthway Seeder and Haikui Turnips
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 08:13:03 -0400

On Jul 2, 2010, at 1:58 AM, Jay Sleichter wrote:

All I have is an Earthway Seeder and my two hands to plant turnips with.  (I would love a Jangs, or pinpoint seeder, but that is not in the budget and I didn't win the lottery last week!)

Last year I tried to use the Earthway, but it had a tendency to grind them up.  Can anyone suggest a good way to plant these or a way to help the Earthway not to make turnip seed fines?

Thanks,
Jay

When did you last clean the Earthway?

Mine plants turnips just fine, though I don't know about the Haikui specifically; but if it hasn't been cleaned in a while, it sometimes has that sort of problem with peas and soybeans. Take all the seedplates and dump them in soapy water; wash them off and let dry without rinsing off all the soap. Wipe out the seed hopper etc. also with soapy water and let dry without rinsing. Maybe that will do the trick.