market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing tomatoes
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 20:33:27 -0700 (PDT)

I couldn't agree more. These outfits do grow produce too, but you can never tell what they grew and what is bought and resold.  The market is requiring them to say where everything is coming from.  Sometimes they tell the truth, sometimes not.  They have no concept of value. Most everything is sold at wholesale prices.  I quit selling cucumbers there.  When they sell them for 5 to 6 for a $1, it is hard to sell mine at 75 cents each.  Zucchini and bell peppers are similar.

Does anyone know of a market that restricts reselling during certain dates? I have been thinking about proposing a rule change this fall.  For example, when local tomatoes are available, reselling tomatoes should not be allowed.  I am thinking like no reselling from July 1 though October 1. Most of the main crops would have a date.  I know that outlawing reselling won't fly.  So this would be a starting place.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com