market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing tomatoes
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 20:54:18 -0700 (PDT)

It is amazing how a really good day can change your perspective. I was at my hometown market and we had a July 3rd celebration that started at 7:30 am on the courthouse square, where our market is.  We had singing, pancake feed, jumping toys, face painting, dunk tank, lunch and much more. It was organized by the Chamber of Commerce.

It was a good week picking cherry tomatoes, 168 pints (which is a bunch for me), I had 91 baskets for today.  I sold all but 15.  People were walking around with bags of cherry tomatoes, people would come over and say they tried one and had to have more.  I even sold out of big tomatoes! I think we gained lots of new customers.

I totally agree with giving things away to push people "over the fence" for the following week.

It is funny you talk about customer trusting you. I had two or three people would ask for recommendation, I would say my recommendations, and their answer was, " I trust you, you have never told me wrong".

I am a feeling really good. I hope my Wednesday market will be this good.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com