market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:17:26 -0500

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:07:53 -0500, you wrote:

>I can't remember where exactly Tioga is, but I'd be hitting on the
>successful market organizers both around Pittsburgh and Philadelphia for
>ideas and resources -- especially if you've got "unusual code" requirements
>-- sometimes, the "light of day" and hearing what's going on in other parts
>of the state can shake things loose. . .

We are here (this is relevant):

http://www.visittiogapa.com/location

Our conditions are those of a very rural and quite isolated
area which is nevertheless not a farming area, with the
exception of a bunch of dying dairy farms.

We are in the Appalachians and there's too much hill here
and not enough valley for much raising of field crops.

However, there's certainly enough flat area for plenty of
truck farms (market growers). Plenty. It can be done in
spite of a short season and poor soil, etc.: I do it, Lynn
does it, Barb does it. (Lynn is on this list, I think Barb
is too.)

Our geographically large county has a population of about
41K, and a population density of 37 persons per square mile.

Nearest Larger Town = 40 miles (has its own Farmers Market)
Nearest Tiny City = 55 miles (has its own Farmers Market)
Nearest Mall or Shopping Center = 55 miles

All of these are in a different state (NY). There's really
nothing whatsoever near us that is in our state (PA).

Pat

--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism,
since it is the merger of state and corporate power."