market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market Problem
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:27:36 -0500

From: "Lucy Goodman" <goodows AT infinet.com>
> As far as attracting growers. The most effective way I have been
> recruited is from being called by the market manager. Fliers I generally
> look at and either misplace and forget or toss into recycling.

How do we find people to call? If anyone in the county is raising
vegetables, it hasn't been obvious to me. I was the only one last season
who advertised vegetables for sale in the local papers. There are one or
two small farmstands, and we talked to them and/orleft fliers.

> I would not worry about starting small as long as you have a couple of
> producers that have a good variety and are able to have supply all
> season. Find a meat vendor.

How do you sell meat at a Farmer's Market? Here we are not allowed to sell
meat unless it is in a running freezer (I tried selling from a cooler and
was told absolutely no)...there's no electricity at the Farmer's Market
site. Even selling eggs from a cooler is questionable under the code (they
must be kept at 40 degrees), but people get away with it.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA