internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Dix Property

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Greg Brown" <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Dix Property
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 11:45:37 -0400

Other then the ambiguous "It's Huge" I'm not sure how to tell if a ginko is mature.   It was just something I heard way back in a botany class in college.  Was it botany?  I'm not even sure anymore.  The three was big, though.. I ended up seeing it first-hand when we were doing some network upgrades to the, um, Dix "campus".

I have two small long-leaf ginkos in my front yard, and there is a very small one here at work.

<yawn>

To answer the "what the he!! is the big deal anyway" question Ginkos are endangered and are called a "living fossil" as they have no close living relatives.  They are classified in their very own Division, Class, Order, Family, Genius, and Species (and to my limited knowledge they are the only living tree to be classified in this manner).

Kingdom:    Plantae
Division:     Ginkgophyta
Class:         Ginkgoopsida
Order:         Ginkgoales
Family:     Ginkgoaceae
Genus:         Ginkgo
Species:     G. biloba

Just one of those "oddball factiods" that managed to stick in my brain through all these years.

</yawn>

Greg

On 5/3/06, Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com> wrote:
on Tue, May 02, 2006 at 09:02:35PM -0400, Greg Brown wrote:
> Dorthea Dix also has one of the few mature Ginko trees in the area
> (the only one that I'm aware of). I'd hate to see that tree felled to
> make room for a condo.

What makes a gingko tree "mature"? There are dozens of possibly-immature
gingko trees in Oakwood and around downtown, or maybe I'm misidentifying
them as I stroll around. <shrug>

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2554 w: http://hesketh.com/
antispam news, solutions for sendmail, exim, postfix: http://enemieslist.com/