internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Dix Property

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Dix Property
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 13:11:55 -0400

raustin3 AT nc.rr.com wrote:

The biggest I have seen are in the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis. Monsters, they are, several feet thick and probably 60-80 feet tall. I would call that mature. I don't know if they were male or female, but I didn't see any hint of flowers. I understand that the females make a big mess.

Chicago has a large number of 'mature' gingko trees in their downtown, particularly around the UIC campus area. They're quite lovely. Easily in the 60-80' range you mention.

I don't think they actually flower. They're very primitive. The males sprout a structure that produces pollen. The females produce a seeded ovule nut/berry (not technically a fruit). These are messy and have a strong odor. Males are preferred for planting.

Obligatory wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_biloba

--rt