internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Dix Property

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Jake Greene" <jakegreene AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Dix Property
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 00:33:12 -0400

The change of use of the Dix Property to a park is, to me, a no-brainer; it's so clearly a necessary move for the continued growth of downtown that it seems inconceivable that people would oppose it.  I do think, in my mind anyway, that the Dix opportunity is more like Balboa Park in San Diego than Central Park in NYC.  Using the existing (and newly built) structures as permanent housing for civic arts programs and classrooms, as well as a well maintained green space seems the best way to keep moving us culturally forward.

On a related note, the people at raleighing.com have been keeping track of the Dix developments, as well as the rest of Raleigh's resurgence.  Worth a look.

Jake