internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Dix Property

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Steve Sellars" <ssellars AT gmail.com>
  • To: stan AT stanbriggs.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Dix Property
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 19:01:00 -0400

Hi Stan,

I really like this idea too. I am working on a project in Manhattan right now, and can't imagine New York without Central Park. Not that there are many similarities between NY and Raleigh now, but Central Park was planned in 1858 as described on the ThinkQuest New York City website: http://www.tqnyc.org/NYC041147/history.html

"Central park was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux in 1858. They envisioned the park as a place where people of all social and ethnic backgrounds could have fun and do their activities . The place was a treeless , rocky one and stagnant swampland. However Olmstead and Vaux transformed it into a urban oasis .During the 19th century approximately 60000 people were living in New York city. In the 1830's a tremendous number of immigrants came in to the city increasing the number of people to 30000 by1840 and in 1850' it increased to 500000.Many people were looking for a place to relax and escape the press of bodies and the din of the city."
--
Stephen Sellars
Raleigh NC USA