baslinux - [BL] email machine

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] email machine
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:33:16 +0000 (UTC)

An acquaintance who is afraid of computers has been getting email via a neighbor who prints it out. She claims she has no space for a computer (though her house is at least three times the size of this one, which has space for a few dozen of them) so I offered a laptop. I have an Armada 120MHz 16MB RAM, with internal power supply (less intimidating). She has a landline phone for use with her fax machine. She says she cannot type and will not be writing any emails, just reading them. Just turned 79.

Nongraphical links works well for fastmail webmail but there are too many choices. For $5/year you get SMTP and POP mail. Is there a free POP mail provider that works with pmail? I will try to teach her to log into BL and dial. Is Sylpheed easier than pmail for a beginner to learn? The only objective is to download and read mail (and delete it after that).
Will BL Sylpheed work with BL2? I can add loop BL3.

The problem with POP mail is people sometimes send enormous photos or jokes. And you have to download all the HTML junk. I will start with webmail.

I just showed BL2 to a friend whose grown kids insist on buying her a new Windows computer for her birthday. She would rather have BL on her 10 year old desktop. She knows DOS and likes typing.