baslinux - Re: [BL] email machine

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] email machine
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 13:21:38 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan

wrote

I copied BL2 shutdown command but when I try to run it:
'You don't exist. Go away.'

BL3 survives being turned off in the middle of things but wastes time
on the next boot.

Busybox has had a shutdown command since 2001. You can substitute it for reboot in inittab. BL3 busybox has not shutdown but poweroff, which worked.

::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/poweroff

It shuts things down and says you can u can power off or reset. Power button and reboot both worked afterwards.

Summary of changes to make a dedicated dialup email machine using elinks.

inittab - remove -sc startx from tty1 line (boot to console)
and change reboot to poweroff. Ctrl-Alt-Del now shuts down (just hit the power button afterwards).

rc - insmod slhc
insmod ppp_generic
insmod ppp_async (both are needed by kernel 2.4 pppd)
/usr/bin/ppp-on (or eznet up 0 etc.)
/usr/local/bin/elinks tiny.fastmail.fm

Upgrade glibc to 2.2.25 (my operalib.tgz package should work) and install my compiled elinks (the only text browser I have working so far with persistent cookies). Use a 2.4 kernel and the above modules (bzimagla.431 is read/only but for beginners who don't want to download email that might be okay - otherwise try bzimlafb.431 which also does framebuffer). elinks displays blank with 2.2 kernel.

Set up a fastmail.fm account with the 'new' interface (default) and choose something legible such as silver or green-mono. Google will also work because elinks does SSL but it takes 2-3 times as long to load.

Boot with lilo to BL3.5 (have not done this yet).

To read mail - turn on computer and modem, wait a minute or so while BL loads, logs in, dials, loads elinks and accesses fastmail. When done, Ctrl-Alt-Del, wait 5 sec, turn off computer.

This assumes an external modem (and a non-noisy phone line for older models) on com1 or com2. A pcmcia modem requires more steps. Have not tried /etc/pcmcia/config in rc.

Which leaves the problem of learning to use webmail.