baslinux - Re: [BL] email machine

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] email machine
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 12:21:37 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan

wrote

I copied BL2 shutdown command but when I try to run it:
'You don't exist. Go away.'

Possible causes: corrupted /etc/passwd, utmp not registered, needs libnss_files.so.2. I copied the libraries from BL2 (glibc) to BL3 and now I exist but it won't shutdown -
Usage: init
Init is the parent of all processes.

So I copied BL2 full init (glibc) to BL3 and now it won't boot:
/etc/inittab: missing id field
askfirst: unknown action field
etc.

The new init is not working with BL3 inittab. Can it be made to do so?

How long should someone wait to turn off the computer after typing Ctrl-Alt-Del?

BL3 survives being turned off in the middle of things but wastes time on the next boot.

I found someone's two rc.* file substitutes that are supposed to fix the problem of Puppy 4.1 (they are now up to 4.3) crashing when you do a full install and power off with the button (or it comes unplugged...). They run fsk and load X. e2fsck run manually does not fix the problem completely and a reinstall is needed. Therefore Puppy even if you have enough memory and 1024 resolution is not usable for beginners or even careless experienced users. The 'frugal' install might be usable but there is a 3-5 sec wait when you click on an icon, even with the big file loaded into RAM, in order to extract a program from it, and people end up clicking too many times and get three copies of a program running.