baslinux - Re: [BL] mplayer plugin, was Re: Abiword problem

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mplayer plugin, was Re: Abiword problem
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 15:21:34 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi wrote:

If I say to use mplayer-uclibc to play a pls file,
it does not play.

The DNS problem stops the static mplayer playing
playlist files (unless the address of the playlist
file and all the addresses inside the playlist file
are dotted-quads). The best way to solve the problem
is to use a glibc2 mplayer. Another way to solve

So the plugin cannot handle pls files even though they are listed as types? I told seamonkey to use mplayer-glibc and it saved the pls file to /tmp and I had to click on the name to play it, but it does work.
I also found an asx file (not listed in types) in tmp and can play that.
All pls and asx files seem to be saved to tmp.

Should the 'types' file be placed somewhere in the /firefox directory in order to work (and have asx added to it)?

the problem is to use a wrapper script to decode
the playlist file before passing the address to
mplayer. I have written a wrapper script to handle
playlist files but it is not perfect (because there
is no consistent format for playlist files).

Mplayer plugin cannot use the glibc mplayer that I compiled because mine is version 0.93 and it needs 1.0rc2try7 or later (the uclibc version).

So I have symlinked mplayer-uclibc (1.0rc2try7) to mplayer (for use by the plugin) and when I encounter pls or asx or other format the plugin cannot handle, I tell it to use mplayer-glibc (0.93 but can handle DNS lookup). Since that does not do video I use mplayer-uclibc in my script to play dvds. This is overly complicated. Using Steven's script is too.

I will attempt to compile mplayer 1.0rc2try7 or later against glibc.
Can I compile with glibc 2.2.5 development package and glibc 2.3.6 solibs or must I upgrade the former? (If so I may wait for broadband).

I found 1.0pre8 about 7MB at linuxpackages. GKT2, libesd, libaudiofile.
Steven can you find a recent GTK1 (or non-GUI) glibc mplayer?

Vermont Public Radio is always accessible and seems to always play music rather than news or other talk.

http://www.vpr.net/listen/stream/#playlists (pls and asx) or ./#connect to bypass the playlist and use the plugin directly by typing in
http://vprclassical.streamguys.net/vprclassical24.mp3 (24K)

I was just able to switch from pls to mp3 in midstream.
Vermont is attempting to legalize same-sex marriage this week over a governor's threatened veto. Second state out of 50.

How do you stop mplayer plugin from playing other than by killing the process?