baslinux - Re: [BL] 2.2.27 kernel for BL

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 2.2.27 kernel for BL
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 01:56:08 +0000 (UTC)

I downloaded the 2.2.26 code and the 2.2.27 patch and attempted to combine them. bunzip2 linux-2.2.26-*.bz2 and bunzip2 patch*bz2

patch linux* patch* -N
I answered all the questions as defaults. I still ended up with a linux-2.2.6*tar that unpacked into a linux-2.2.6 directory and when I compiled, the kernel identifies as 2.2.26 and it works with Steven's modules. Sometimes if you use different gcc's it won't work. I used 2.95.3.

How should I patch the kernel to get a 2.2.27? I am still after 'nomce'
for Compaq Armadas.

I posted two kernels

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.2.26/zimagefb.226 http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.2.26/zimafbcd.226
with config files to match.

oth are for 586 (PI) without math emulation, no System V IPC (needed by DOSEMU) or Sysctl (to get /proc/sys).

The first has vesafb and no CD-ROM support. Steven's modules and even modules I compiled from this code segfault, and though they insert anyway, I get an error message about /hdc having wring major or minor number.

So to avoid the problem I compiled them into the second kernel. They are 461K and 433K. Steven's PI kernel is 421K. I could fit my new kernels into disk1 by omitting pmail and readmail.

This kernel somewhat works with my USB-storage external hard drive. Pages and pages of comments about data integrity, but I can mount the drive. The file names are sort of scrambled. I hope my files are not damaged.

The new 2.2.26 kernel is intended for use with laptops that do not have USB ports, or don't have enough RAM for a 2.4.31 kernel. My 133Mhz Toshiba has USB but only 16MB RAM.

On the Hitachi, svgalib collaborates with framebuffer, sort-of. zgv works, links2 -g svgalib crashes linux so you need to reboot. I can use Steven's links2-ssl instead. (On the DELL with neomagic video, I think zgv works and links2 did not but I may be wrong). If you are using framebuffer mode, stick with x11 or expect problems.

vesafb, like Xvesa, is 60Hz. Irrelevant on an LCD screen of a laptop.

On the Hitachi I could not get SVGA X to display 800x600 - Xvesa and xfbdev both do fine. SVGA server said dot-clock maximum was 28 and you need 31 or more to do 800x600 with my config file.

Sindi Keesan