baslinux - Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 00:32:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

MaxGate AirWire 330TX - nowhere on the web. I think it is UMAX, but they
have no info on this model. It came in a wireless router with ports
marked Printer, WAN, PC and hub, as well as a PCMCIA slot. Maybe we could
use it to share a connection with a neighbor, picked up wirelessly then
run a crossover cable from PC to computer (or from hub to hub)? How does
WAN work?

Do the WAN or hub ports look anything like an Ethernet port?

WAN, hub and PC look like ethernet ports. I just discovered we even have the user's manual!

DamnSmallLinux might identify it. BSD PCMCIA
support list had Addtron AEF-330TX which is the same as Accton EN1217
which has a Macronix chip supported by tulip but the module might need to
be compiled specially. Why are wireless cards so difficult???

I read some ndiswrapper docs. It looks even more difficult. You need
Windows drivers, and you need to run the ndiswrapper (which needs
a certain glibc and kernel) utility with some options and then modprobe
the module. Then you need to set up encryption and use yet another
tool to tell the driver what network to join. Then you need to use dhcp
or ifconfig to set up the network so you can ping. Are you wondering
why I haven't bothered to try to compile it yet?

No, it is obvious. I can't even manage to compile a PCMCIA kernel,
or use Cardbus with Steven's kernel.

It is not actually smaller if you compare the same files. I think they
just omitted the .pa and .la parts, which I delete anyway. I posted
about this earlier.

Hmm. How much of a size difference is there? 100K?

wc /lib/*2.2.5*so 1865344
wc /lib/*2.3.2*so 2809852

About 1MB. Most of this is libc - 1.46MB vs 1.24MB

The difference in size of full glibc is probably even greater.
I don't want to have to put 2.3.2 on all my computers to use programs I have compiled. I presume they also take up more RAM.

We were also given an EPX Multimedia PCMCIA card (by a neighbor who did
not know what it was, found it in the trash, and might have the CD-ROM
drive in a box somewhere). I will test that out too with ide-cs.o.

Can you try the DOS sound drivers too?

We don't have anything but the PCMCIA card and that seems to be one of the ones that does not work in linux.