baslinux - Re: [BL] USB/PCMCIA laptop kernel 2.4.31 works with 16-bit cards

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB/PCMCIA laptop kernel 2.4.31 works with 16-bit cards
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 01:55:46 +0000 (UTC)

Can someone explain how to use Cardbus (32-bit) PCMCIA cards by the
Hotplug method that DamnSmallLinux is using, with the normal non-PCMCIA
modules (using PCI modules 3c59x.o, crc32.o, tulip.o etc.) ?

"All Cardbus drivers have been folded into their corresponding regular PCI drivers using the new "hot plug PCI" interface".

http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net

I interpret this to mean I would use the regular ethernet driver for the corresponding PCI card (3c59x instead of 3c575_cb).

I also need an /sbin/hotplug to detect when a card is plugged in or out, which can be compiled from source code at that site or downloaded as a platform-independent .rpm package which they imply is a script or set of scripts. Does this also make it library and kernel independent? The .rpm is binary with some text in it. There are some other packages there too. It looks confusing but simpler than fixing the Cardbus bug on my own. DamnSmallLinux appears to be using hotplug.

My kernel has CONFIG_HOTPLUG=Y. It should work with USB and Cardbus.
I already get messages when I put a card in or out.

I will attempt to install the noarch rpm.
I hope the wireless card is not also Cardbus.