baslinux - Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 00:54:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:
My kernel works fine with USB (if you push the cable in all the way) but
insmod i82365: unresolved symbol pm_unregister_ad (-at?)
unresolved symbol pm_register

I tried the bare.i kernel which is also CONFIG_PCMCIA=m
insmod i82365: unresolved symbol isapnp_find_dev.

I did not compile with pnp support - should I? Do I need APM power
management too?

Must be so. Although the kernel source should detect that you
answered N to APM and not put the unresolved symbol in
i82365.o.

I did not compile the pcmcia modules, I used the ones from SW10.2

On my second try, I answered N to Hotplug instead of Y to Hotplug and M to module and got even worse results. I thought you said to answer N if I wanted to use the precompiled modules.

I posted my config file. Should I change Hotplug back to Y and PCMCIA to M and Cardbus to M and Y, and maybe SMC91C92 to M? Should I compile my own PCMCIA modules so they don't look for PM or PNP? I think that means downloading the source code and learning how to make config for it.

Steven's kernel works and there is nothing in it about HOTPLUG or PCMCIA=Y.

Do you want to take over?

Which Slackware 10.2 kernel would work better with PCMCIA?

Are you using SW10.2 modules with the bare.i kernel? The
kernels should work equally well as long as PCMCIA=m is
enabled.

It did not work, pnp unresolved message.

2. EXP Multimedia card identifies itself in Socket 1 as
EXP CD940 CD-ROM, insmod ide-cs.o (I set up config to bind this)
ide-cs: ide-register at 0x138&0x3ee irq3 failed
get dev info on socket 1 failed. No such device.
This is probably one of the cards that is NOT linux compatible.

Yeah. Do you get the same message with 2.2.16?

I think so. I think this is what someone else posted and they were told it is not linux compatible.

ide_register, actually. Someone posted in Hungarian, same message.

When I compiled my kernel I don't think I said Y to hotplug, but this is
Steven's kernel. Does it need to be recompiled to support this newer
ethernet card (100MBit) that is Cardbus (some newer standard mentioned in
the PCMCIA package README)?

I had to say Y to hotplug to even get asked about PCMCIA. I may have said N to Cardbus after that.

If Steven built the module, then it does not need a recompile. You
probably need to switch kernels if you got the module from
elsewhere.

I think I need a Cardbus module yenta_socket.o instead of i82365.o and a _cb module for the card, neither of which I have for 2.2.26 or the _cb even for 2.4.31. I found this card listed with a _cb module in the big config file from the SW10 pcmcia package. Steven does not have any _cb modules posted. I have a 3C575B and he has a 3c574_cs.o. Maybe the neighbor will trade me his Netgear card for this 3Com one he gave me.

Cardbus is to PCMCIA as PCI is to ISA. PCI and Cardbus are 32-bit,
ISA and PCMCIA are (mainly) 16-bit.

David

Can you get PCMCIA to work with 2.4.31 and some older card (non-Cardbus?).
I have been trying for a few days now.