baslinux - Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 22:12:35 +0000 (UTC)

David Moberg wrote:

Cardbus is to PCMCIA as PCI is to ISA. PCI and Cardbus are 32-bit,
ISA and PCMCIA are (mainly) 16-bit.

The BL3 cardmgr does not do CardBus. In order to keep
it small, only standard PCMCIA cards were included.

I compiled another kernel, answering Y to CONFIG_ISA because non-Cardbus PCMCIA is 16-bit like ISA and needs ISA support to work.

I answered Y to CONFIG_HOTPLUG so that I would be allowed to answer N to CONFIG_PCMCIA, which I had to do in order to compile modules with the pcmcia-cs package from sourceforge. There were no other questions about PCMCIA after that. I left PM and PNP set to N, but in the .config file for pcmcia I saw USE_PM=y. I answered Y to network support but N to all individual drivers because the pcmcia source code makes them separately.

After I did a make clean make dep make config for the kernel, I then did a very short and easy make config (Y to cardbus, defaults to others) in /usr/src/pcmcia* (after unpacking the package in /usr/src) and then a make all. The documentation refers to answering questions about CONFIG_SERIALCS etc. but there were no questions, I had to make all.

I have yet to test things but I have posted to
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/*la* (laptop kernel)
configla.431
bzimagla.431
modules-la-nonpcmcia-431.tgz
modules-la-pcmcia-431.tgz

I included just the nonpcmcia modules made for this kernel, but you can use the ones in my larger modules package for the desktop kernel. Put these modules and the pcmcia ones in /usr/src/2.4.31/misc and /pcmcia or various other subdirectories if you prefer to keep track of them that way. I think just putting things in /usr/src/2.4.31 would even work.

I put into the pcmcia modules package /usr/src/pcmcia*/modules/*.o files: pcmcia_core, ds, i82365, cardbus.o and tcic.o. Do I need bulkmem.o , cistpl.o, pci_fixup.o, etc. or are they just part of source code? I also included all files ending in cs.o or cb.o from /clients.

To use Cardbus do I add insmod cardbus.o to /etc/pcmcia/start (or replace i82365.o)? The documentation said i82365 module (but not kernel) driver also supports Cardbus, but in another place it said to use yenta_socket.o instead of i82365.o in pcmcia startup file (which did not get compiled but came in the SW10.2 package). I think there are several systems in use now, which is confusing.

My Cardbus card can also be used with not 3c575_cb.o but 3c59x (the normal non-pcmcia module?), by the 'hotplug' method, same for netgear and tulip, which must be what DamnSmallLinux tried to do with them.

Do I really need HOTPLUG=Y to use PCMCIA?

SW10.2 cardmgr is 42K, the one in BL3.32 35K, not a major size difference and maybe attributable to the newer library. I think Steven said he compiled cardmgr without Cardbus to make a smaller cardmgr, or maybe he left out cardbus.o (9K) to make a smaller package?