baslinux - [BL] Mplayer with subtitles

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Mplayer with subtitles
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 15:45:52 +0000 (UTC)

I have posted http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/iso-8859-1-arial-18.tar.bz2 (about 50K) from the Mplayer site. bunzip2 and tar -xvf it in /usr/local/share/mplayer/font in order to get fonts (and also OSD - on screen display of elapsed time).

mplayer -ao oss -vo x11 dvd://1 -slang en

English subtitles (and -alang for English speech)

If you want Cyrillic or E. European or Asian fonts see the mplayer site.

The mplayer.html file said to make a symlink from where the fonts were to /root/.mplayer/font but this was not necessary. I am running as root.

You can also start at track 2 dvd://2, which I had to do when starting at track 1 got me pages of error messages about cdrom_decode_status: DriveReady SeekComplete Error, I/O error at a particular sector, ATAPI reset, and DMA disabled. This is a bug in kernel 2.4 which sets off this behavior if it hits a bad spot on the CD.

I am using a kernel with MTRR enabled, which supposedly makes the video 2.5 times faster. Matrox Millenium framebuffer. zgv works with chipset FBDev (fast), more slowly with chipset VESA or unspecified (switch terminals a couple of times on exit to get rid of the colored screen). mplayer crashes using any of these with svga mode. Sometimes just a black screen, sometimes a red triangle in upper left. Sometimes I could reboot.

Without MTRR I could use mplayer with chipset unspecified, the others had odd effects. -vo vesa does not work with Matrox. (I think there is also something like a -vo mxfb which did not work).

x11 works exceot I lost the sound one time and needed to add -framedrop. 600MHz Pentium III cpu.

I do not recommend using MTRR with Matrox. Maybe it is helpful for games.

This kernel (posted at my site) has not given me any other problems apart from mplayer not working with svgalib.

David, what is the URL for your latest mplayer so I can link to it.

  • [BL] Mplayer with subtitles, sindi keesan, 03/19/2006