baslinux - Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PCMCIA support was BL3 Options Specific for Old Toshiba Laptop
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:59:11 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> MaxGate AirWire 330TX - nowhere on the web. I think it is UMAX, but they
> have no info on this model. It came in a wireless router with ports
> marked Printer, WAN, PC and hub, as well as a PCMCIA slot. Maybe we could
> use it to share a connection with a neighbor, picked up wirelessly then
> run a crossover cable from PC to computer (or from hub to hub)? How does
> WAN work?

Do the WAN or hub ports look anything like an Ethernet port?

> DamnSmallLinux might identify it. BSD PCMCIA
> support list had Addtron AEF-330TX which is the same as Accton EN1217
> which has a Macronix chip supported by tulip but the module might need to
> be compiled specially. Why are wireless cards so difficult???

I read some ndiswrapper docs. It looks even more difficult. You need
Windows drivers, and you need to run the ndiswrapper (which needs
a certain glibc and kernel) utility with some options and then modprobe
the module. Then you need to set up encryption and use yet another
tool to tell the driver what network to join. Then you need to use dhcp
or ifconfig to set up the network so you can ping. Are you wondering
why I haven't bothered to try to compile it yet?

> It is not actually smaller if you compare the same files. I think they
> just omitted the .pa and .la parts, which I delete anyway. I posted
> about this earlier.

Hmm. How much of a size difference is there? 100K?

> We were also given an EPX Multimedia PCMCIA card (by a neighbor who did
> not know what it was, found it in the trash, and might have the CD-ROM
> drive in a box somewhere). I will test that out too with ide-cs.o.

Can you try the DOS sound drivers too?

David