baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer and DVDs

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer and DVDs
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:08:16 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I find it easier just to turn on two computers.

If you don't want two computers, bochs allows you to imitate a PC within
a computer. It is a tad slow, but if you're using Wordperfect or an old
DOS game the performance is quite acceptable. It is much more compatible
than DOSEMU.

I just checked it out at sourceforge.net and it does look promising. It is specifically for x86-type computers. They have an .rpm for i586 that is about 2.4MB - would someone with a broadband connection download it and figure out which glibc is required? (I suppose I could try to unpack the rpm here at sdf, with the two-part rpm unpacker devised by David).

The source code is about 3.8MB.

There are also previous versions which might work with older glibc.

My partner's text editor does not work too well with dosemu, possibly because it makes direct hardware calls. bochs might work better.

Speed is unimportant for our DOS programs. But I don't see how anything running under linux will work properly with mdacon. I suppose I could use it on documents which don't have underlines.

David