baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer and DVDs

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer and DVDs
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 02:28:21 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

v is supposed to toggle subtitle visibility and it does not seem to work.

You may need to use Shift+F to force subtitles on. But in any case you
need to install fonts first. See below.

DVD number 3 (dvd://1) would play for about 10 seconds yesterday then give
me a black screen. Same thing happened today. Ctrl-C exits. There are
two titles. I discovered this after typing dvd://1-3. I am now seeing
the second part of this DVD. q is not working here at all, or ESC (in X)
or Ctrl-C.

Probably the first two DVDs that worked with dvd://1 had just one 'title'.

How do I get at the subtitles? Everything else is now working perfectly
and I can if I want skip past the warnings.

You need to install subtitle fonts (I did not include any). Go to the
downloads section of the MPlayer site <www.mplayerhq.hu> and download
the appropriate font for the language you are trying to view. The
Western European package has a README inside which says to copy the
files from one of the subdirectories (depending on desired size) to
/usr/local/share/mplayer/font/. There is some more scant information
at the documentation section of the MPlayer website. Once I installed
the fonts, the on-screen display started working. I still can't figure
out how subtitles work. I will try various settings and report back.

Thanks. Probably it does not make sense to include even an English-language font in your package since most people use mplayer only for audio, unless it is quite small.

I will wait for you to report back before watching Die Fledermaus. I can handle the Russian cartoons on my own.

mplayer says it can work with svgalib but David seems not to have compiled
for it.

I don't currently have a development copy of svgalib.

To get a statically compiled program I bet you have to compile svgalib too.

Would that take less cpu than vesa?

I don't think so.

It would work with more video cards.

Yes. It may be included with the next version of MPlayer, sometime in the
distant future.

Thanks. First dosemu? (No hurry on either).
Probably most computers fast enough to play DVDs come with newer video cards anyway (that do VESA 2.0).

David