baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer and DVDs

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer and DVDs
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:03:17 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> v is supposed to toggle subtitle visibility and it does not seem to work.

You may need to use Shift+F to force subtitles on. But in any case you
need to install fonts first. See below.

> DVD number 3 (dvd://1) would play for about 10 seconds yesterday then give
> me a black screen. Same thing happened today. Ctrl-C exits. There are
> two titles. I discovered this after typing dvd://1-3. I am now seeing
> the second part of this DVD. q is not working here at all, or ESC (in X)
> or Ctrl-C.
>

> Probably the first two DVDs that worked with dvd://1 had just one 'title'.
>
> How do I get at the subtitles? Everything else is now working perfectly
> and I can if I want skip past the warnings.

You need to install subtitle fonts (I did not include any). Go to the
downloads section of the MPlayer site <www.mplayerhq.hu> and download
the appropriate font for the language you are trying to view. The
Western European package has a README inside which says to copy the
files from one of the subdirectories (depending on desired size) to
/usr/local/share/mplayer/font/. There is some more scant information
at the documentation section of the MPlayer website. Once I installed
the fonts, the on-screen display started working. I still can't figure
out how subtitles work. I will try various settings and report back.

> mplayer says it can work with svgalib but David seems not to have compiled
> for it.

I don't currently have a development copy of svgalib.

> Would that take less cpu than vesa?

I don't think so.

> It would work with more video cards.

Yes. It may be included with the next version of MPlayer, sometime in the
distant future.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com