baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer and DVDs

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer and DVDs
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 00:44:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, David Moberg wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

If you don't want two computers, bochs allows you to imitate a PC within
a computer. It is a tad slow, but if you're using Wordperfect or an old
DOS game the performance is quite acceptable. It is much more compatible
than DOSEMU.

(I suppose I could try to unpack the rpm here at sdf, with the
two-part rpm unpacker devised by David).

It does not work, sdf has no rpmoffset to use with your script.

grep the binary for 2.2 and 2.3. If the file only contains 2.2,
it is for glibc 2.2. If 2.3 is in the file, it is very likely
to be for 2.3. Since the Slackware version is for 10.0, I
think it is for 2.3.

I don't have the binary, I have the rpm file. Can I grep that? How?

I do NOT want to get into glibc2.3 because then I will have to compile with it. I tried compiling with 2.1.3 and using 2.2.5-so and messed things up so badly I had to reinstall linux. 2.2.3 is bigger and I would have to put it on all computers and what I compiled would not work for people without it. Some year, not now.

My partner's text editor does not work too well with dosemu, possibly
because it makes direct hardware calls. bochs might work better.

bochs is very good at hardware imitation, good enough to run almost
every operating system made for a PC.

We could test it on a half-tab, but he can use four spaces instead.

Speed is unimportant for our DOS programs. But I don't see how anything
running under linux will work properly with mdacon.

The DOS CAD program was actually very slow under even dosemu. But there is no need to use it that way except for an occasional minor fix to something. Same for Wordperfect.

I guess you will not be happy with bochs, then.
But my partner might like to play with it. Not this week, we need to get a different DOS CAD program beta-tested and edit the English in it.

I will suggest bochs to the author of this CAD program, who has Windows XP and is no longer able to test his own program under real DOS. He added a routine for checking if a mouse driver is loaded, which badly messed up the DOS video (which messed up linux graphics when booting with loadlin). I suggested he add a DOS partition and toggle the bootable/active partition.

David