baslinux - Re: [BL] MPlayer and DVDs

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MPlayer and DVDs
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:54:51 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> > If you don't want two computers, bochs allows you to imitate a PC within
> > a computer. It is a tad slow, but if you're using Wordperfect or an old
> > DOS game the performance is quite acceptable. It is much more compatible
> > than DOSEMU.
>

> (I suppose I could try to unpack the rpm here at sdf, with the
> two-part rpm unpacker devised by David).

grep the binary for 2.2 and 2.3. If the file only contains 2.2,
it is for glibc 2.2. If 2.3 is in the file, it is very likely
to be for 2.3. Since the Slackware version is for 10.0, I
think it is for 2.3.

> My partner's text editor does not work too well with dosemu, possibly
> because it makes direct hardware calls. bochs might work better.

bochs is very good at hardware imitation, good enough to run almost
every operating system made for a PC.

> Speed is unimportant for our DOS programs. But I don't see how anything
> running under linux will work properly with mdacon.

I guess you will not be happy with bochs, then.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com