sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] Install without ISO

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] Install without ISO
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:43:38 +0100

> So, apart from the usual glitches (every install is a bit different...) the
> system seems to be up and running. Next time I'll try to install it to a
> NFS share like the old host system (and see how it performs compared to
> Gentoo there... I see a high chance to beat `emerge --sync` which takes
> AGES with all its small files and the portage cache).

I did the NFS install and it went ok, overall, but besides some (newly)
broken or suboptimal spells - separate post on that - sorcery seems to have
problems with the NFS setup.

First, I, too have a problem with the NFS setup - it seems to be _very_ slow
with simultaneously reading and writing. Server and client both have 3c905
cards that should do duplex nicely... both cpus are not busy at all... but
that's not your problem, I guess.

Second, I get such a situation:

cast ...

Spells installed successfully:
ncurses findutils grep

rm: cannot remove directory `/tmp/sorcery/cast/25032': Directory not empty
root@kiste:/# ls -l /tmp/sorcery/cast/25032/
total 0

That seems to happen on _every_ cast. There is the empty directory that is
not empty. There seems to be some timing (caching?) problem... question is if
this is just a problem with my NFS server/client relationship or something
also involving sorcery.

Thomas.