sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] Install without ISO

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] Install without ISO
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 23:59:34 +0100

> Try `ls -la /tmp/sorcery/cast/25032/` to list possibly hidden files.

They are gone at that time... but I remember having seen .nfsblablabla file
names appearing.

> Otherwise this is most likely caused by NFS 'lag', of which reports
> have been sent to LKML about for many of the 2.6.x kernel series,

Yes... Somehow nfs is extremely slow. On the Sourcemage machine with root on
NFS:

root@kiste:~# time dd if=/dev/zero of=/test bs=1M count=200 ; time sync
200+0 Datensätze ein
200+0 Datensätze aus

real 6m8.623s
user 0m0.020s
sys 0m2.235s

real 0m0.048s
user 0m0.001s
sys 0m0.003s

That's about 0.54M/s... with real world work with many smaller files I get
sth. around 100 to 200K/s in ethstatus.

On the same machine and to the same drive on the server, but mounted via smb
it's 1.4M/s. That's better and now the veritable K5 on the server looks
moderately busy (60% CPU for smb).

For comparison: Writing from my (slower that the sourcemage machine) laptop
using LFS with kernel 2.6.11 gives 2.4M/s

Reading back the file over NFS on the SM box yields 2.7M/s; while the laptop
gets 6.2M/s (that really is the limit of the server).

So, you say trying another - older! - kernel (like 2.6.11) on the SM box
could help performance? What is with the server? It's running 2.6.13.3 ...

Thomas.