sm-users - Re: [SM-Users] first experiences and problems

sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Sourcemage Users List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Users] first experiences and problems
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:34:56 +0100

> signatures. If you have a suggestion of an algorithm that would work
> well without overburdening some part of the mirror chain, perhaps by
> falling back directly to our mirrors (which should be accurate to our
> own grimoiire in any case) but failing after the second failed integrity
> check, then we might be able to implement it.

Hm... what about something like this (in pseudo-C/PERL):

if(not download_there(file) or integrity(file) == false) #we don't have it
already handy
{
if(download(official_file) == false or integrity(official_file) ==
false) #official source fails
{
int i = -1
while(download(mirror_file[++i]) == false)
{
if(i == overall_attempt_limit) break
}
}
}

if(not download_there(file) or integrity(file) == false)
{
print("unable to get (valid) file... try later or in a different
world")
}
else
{
continue_casting()
}

What I am not sure about: Do we have multiple "official" urls in general?
Then it would just mean:

1. try to get one successful download from official sources
2. if unable to or download invalid: try to get one successful download from
mirrors
3. if unable to or download invalid: be screwed

One could think about these steps being tunable:

Give up after n total download attempts.
Give up after m invalid downloads...

Additionally, somehow related, the download from sourceforge mirrors annoyed
me a bit before I set the default mirror for that to something sensible for
me. In the sf case, where we have a list of mirrors available: Does it make
sense to try one mirror three times on timeouts (producing normally three
long pauses while waiting for the timeout)? Wouldn't it be better to cycle
through the list right after the first timeout?

Thomas.