sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Bor Kraljič <pyrobor AT ver.si>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:52:21 +0200

On 24. MES 2011 10:42:49 Remko van der Vossen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:33:56AM +0200, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> > >
> > > First off, let me say that I don't use KDE, or any DE for that matter as
> > > most of you will know. However, I'd still like to add my 2 cents.
> > >
> > > Is it wise to rename all kde4 spells to kde? We'll only get the same
> > > problems upon the next KDE release. When it comes to things like KDE and
> > > gnome it's more like every new major version is a completely new
> > > project, so why not treat it as such. We could have the kde spell simply
> > > be a profile spell that lets the user choose between any versions we
> > > have available currently, like we do for instance with the ruby profile
> > > spell and the ruby-1.8 and ruby-1.9 spells.
> > Ruby is just one spell, there'd need to be a dozen profiles for kde.
>
> I don't think so, it'd only need to be done for the main kde profile
> spells, once it's installed people can figure out they need kde#-$app,
> we don't treat our users as idiots as far as I am aware...
For me it came to simple question. WILL WE SUPPORT KDE3? (and if yes, WHO
will support it. It won't be
me.) It isn't supported by upstream. qt3 (qt-x11) that is needed for kde3
isn't supported by upstream.
So why should we support kde3? ATM we don't even have the information if kde3
compiles with
current version of gcc.

If we decide not to support kde3 and remove it from grimoire we avoid
problems with renaming. Since
after a while it would be quite easy to rename kde4 to kde and continue
without suffix. But somehow I
don't think we will agree on removal of kde3. Since from unknown reason we
REALLY like having VERY
old spells in grimoire for which we don't even know if they compile.