sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] kde4 in /opt/kde4
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:42:49 +0200

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:33:56AM +0200, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 of August 2011 10:20:42 Remko van der Vossen wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 11:40:02PM +0200, Jaka Kranjc wrote:
> > > We should also rename the old kde spells to kde3 and the kde4 to plain
> > > kde (later) — upstream is already dreaming about kde5, so it is best to
> > > lose the version suffix for the latest branch or we'll rerun into this
> > > issue each major release.
> >
> > First off, let me say that I don't use KDE, or any DE for that matter as
> > most of you will know. However, I'd still like to add my 2 cents.
> >
> > Is it wise to rename all kde4 spells to kde? We'll only get the same
> > problems upon the next KDE release. When it comes to things like KDE and
> > gnome it's more like every new major version is a completely new
> > project, so why not treat it as such. We could have the kde spell simply
> > be a profile spell that lets the user choose between any versions we
> > have available currently, like we do for instance with the ruby profile
> > spell and the ruby-1.8 and ruby-1.9 spells.
> Ruby is just one spell, there'd need to be a dozen profiles for kde.

I don't think so, it'd only need to be done for the main kde profile
spells, once it's installed people can figure out they need kde#-$app,
we don't treat our users as idiots as far as I am aware...

> The fifth version is planned to be an incremental update, so I don't forsee
> need to have both 4 and 5 in the tree at the same time.

Okay, that may change things, as I said I don't use KDE at all, I didn't
have any idea, I just presumed we'd be in the same boat again. On the
other hand I'm a bit sceptical about this, will kde4 apps really work
without a problem with kde5 libs? Or do they expect everyone to update
their stuff as ABI incompatible updates come out? If it's the latter I
say, good luck with that...

> And having the latest normally named means you have to rename spells only
> when
> branching off older major releases, not each new one.

Which should be the same thing averaged over time.

Remko.