sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] libpng, xorg-modular, and GCC

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: George Sherwood <pilot AT beernabeer.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] libpng, xorg-modular, and GCC
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 09:32:52 -0500

On Sat, 14 May 2011 16:27:24 +0200
Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz> wrote:

> > We have a few branches that should be merged into test, but they
> > need testing. Right now they are stagnating. I will be setting up
> > some VMs on my box to do tests, but welcome others to also test
> > upgrading *from test* to these branches and workout/file any bugs
> > found.
> >
> > The branches I am interested in and will be testing in-order:
> > devel-libpng (should be quickest of the tests)
> > devel-xorg-modular (X.org 1.10)
> > devel-gcc (GCC 4.5, may just skip for below)
> > devel-merged-gcc (GCC 4.6 w/merged)
> >
> > Branches others may be interested in:
> > devel-gnome-3-0-0
> > devel-firefox4
> >
> > Some branches we should probably delete:
> > devel-bash-4
> > devel-gcc-parallel
> > devel-gnome
> > devel-gnome-2.30
> > devel-gnome-2.32
> > devel-kde43
> > devel-kde44
> > devel-xorg-modular-7-3
> >
> > -sandalle
> >

> devel-libpng contains libpng 1.4.5 (I was updated it on 2010-12-10).
> Last 1.4 branch has already version 1.4.7.
> There is alredy 1.5 branch and the last stable libpng is 1.5.2.
>
> I wrote to the sm-discuss list [1], none conclusion, nobody is
> interesting. :-(
>

> devel-xorg-modular (X.org 1.10) is OK. I updated X.Org to 7.6 before
> Xmas and sent email to sm-discuss [2] mentioned problem with
> libpthread-stubs. Nobody is interesting, nobody merged (yea, some
> individual spells were merged). :-(
>

> devel-gcc is a evidence that if we want to stop updating spells it is
> sufficient to create new branch. Last version update of gcc in test
> grimoire was on 2010-04-01 into version 4.4.3. ;-( Nobody is really
> interesting. :-(
>

> devel-gnome-3-0-0, I had created it. I updated all gnome spells.
> Nobody is interesting, nobody touched this branch. Instead there are
> fixes of deprecated gnome spells in test grimoire and neverending
> discussion if we will support gnome2. Gnome2 is dead! Gnome3 is
> working for me. We can merge it, of course we will have to also fix
> several conflicts.
>

> devel-firefox4, instead of merging it we provide old firefox version
> with security bugs in test. I updated firefox and xulrunner to 4.0.1
> and 2.0.1 in devel-firefox4, how many tested? :-(
>

> Also we have devel-udev branch. I have updated udev to version 168
> with changes in init.d. How many tested? The problem is with /run
> directory. Should it be part of smgl-fhs spell or should be created
> by udev spell? Some developers strictly disaprove that /run was on
> their boxes. We need conclusion.
>

> I am really upset with last Source Mage development. How many active
> developers do we have? How it is possible that core developers use
> half of year old sorcery? Core developers don't update their boxes.
> Instead of using upstream they trying to fix deprecated spell
> [...]

It is clear to me that no matter how much that we would like it to
work, the branch approach for grimoire development is not going to work
for us given the number of developers that we have that are willing to
really test these things.

I am thinking about either creating a devel branch again or use the
test branch in this way. I understand the frustration of developers
working on spells and updates that have no clear way to make it into
the regular distro. We are updating stable on a good enough cycle that
I think most users can switch to that branch and we can use test for
testing vice a quasi-stable branch that we are trying to use it as now.

George