sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] libpng, xorg-modular, and GCC

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] libpng, xorg-modular, and GCC
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 16:25:51 -0400

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We have a few branches that should be merged into test, but they need
> testing. Right now they are stagnating. I will be setting up some VMs on
> my box to do tests, but welcome others to also test upgrading *from
> test* to these branches and workout/file any bugs found.
>
> The branches I am interested in and will be testing in-order:
>        devel-libpng (should be quickest of the tests)
>        devel-xorg-modular (X.org 1.10)
>        devel-gcc (GCC 4.5, may just skip for below)
>        devel-merged-gcc (GCC 4.6 w/merged)
>
> Branches others may be interested in:
>        devel-gnome-3-0-0
>        devel-firefox4
>
> Some branches we should probably delete:
>        devel-bash-4
>        devel-gcc-parallel
>        devel-gnome
>        devel-gnome-2.30
>        devel-gnome-2.32
>        devel-kde43
>        devel-kde44
>        devel-xorg-modular-7-3
>
> -sandalle
>
> --
> Eric Sandall                     |  Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer
> eric AT sandall.us PGP: 0xA8EFDD61  |  http://www.sourcemage.org/
> http://eric.sandall.us/          |  http://counter.li.org/  #196285

devel-libpng
I'm already using 1.5.2 on my system. Other than some spells needed
some patches, I haven't run into anything major.

deve-xorg-Modular
I'm currently using all the xorg spells from deve-xorg-Modular. Have
not run into any problems.

devel-merged-gcc
Just did a new install with the merged gcc with 4.5.2. I hade no
problems at all. Giving 4.6 a try now.

Isn't firefox4 already in test? I seem to have it on my system and I
don't have the devel-firefox4 grimoire on my system. It didn't build
against xulrunner either (big plus in my book). Haven't had any
problems with it. Its actually more stable than Firefox 3 for me. I
actually have an old spell for the actual scm version of Firefox (and
a ton more compile options) that I needed since FF3 releases were
never stable on my system. I may update the current spell to use the
scm version sometime.

I don't use gnome, but I may take up the task of making gnome 2 and 3
coexist if no one else does. I don't like gnome, but I think gnome 2
should still be supported if there is a demand for it.

About the branches; I don't know how you guys do about it, but i just
cast each relevant spell from the branch (i.e. just xorg from
devel-xorg-modular) and then cast everything else from the main branch
(unless it fails). So I don't really see the need for branches. I'm
cool with just a devel branch.