sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] libpng, xorg-modular, and GCC

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Peng Chang (Charles)" <chp AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] libpng, xorg-modular, and GCC
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 09:18:59 +0800

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 12:19:37PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We have a few branches that should be merged into test, but they need
> testing. Right now they are stagnating. I will be setting up some VMs on
> my box to do tests, but welcome others to also test upgrading *from
> test* to these branches and workout/file any bugs found.
>
> The branches I am interested in and will be testing in-order:
> devel-libpng (should be quickest of the tests)
> devel-xorg-modular (X.org 1.10)
> devel-gcc (GCC 4.5, may just skip for below)
> devel-merged-gcc (GCC 4.6 w/merged)

With regard to merged gcc, I think we need to test how the spell works
and merge it asap. I think it is the only sane way to keep Ada
bootstrappable. GCC version shouldn't be the focus of concern. If 4.6 is
not working for many spells as Treeve tested out, we can downgrade the
version in merged gcc to 4.5.3, or 4.4.6. These releases are also new,
even newer than 4.6.0.

Regard,
Charles