sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] libpng, xorg-modular, and GCC

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] libpng, xorg-modular, and GCC
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 08:43:54 +0200

Am Tue, 17 May 2011 10:40:50 +0800
schrieb "Peng Chang (Charles)" <chp AT sourcemage.org>:

> I agree on splitting grimoire, though it is practically difficult to
> define which spells are `core' spells, and the split process may not be
> smooth. It does lower the burden of testing

It raises the burden of hacking the grimoires ... all those depends on
differing grimoires. And when a spell moves grimoires (since there are always
reasons to put it here or there), you have to carefully make sure that all
spells depending on it get the new location right. And mind: Since our spell
scripts are indeed fully-capable turing-complete programs (as I had to
discuss with Andrew in length;-), you cannot just parse stuff.

Of course, we can introduce a system that keeps track of spells' location in
differing grimoires, shipping indices of the other split grimoires with each
one ... but it does add complexity, doesn't it?

Why not use keywords to group spells and classify them based on that? You can
generate lists, nice web pages collecting the testing status ... without
splitting anything. Btw: Why, really, is the games grimoire separate? I
understand z-rejected, and I understand that it's a cool (but not unique)
feature to have a grimoire stack to work with, including personal grimoires
in there, but the distro doesn't need to split up its offerings into many
grimoires. More interesting would be rsync updating of grimoires. Even the
few MB of grimoire tarball can be big.

Alrighty then,

Thomas.