sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] openmotif ... updating lesstif and nedit

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] openmotif ... updating lesstif and nedit
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:28:46 +0100

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 06:35:34PM -0400, flux wrote:
> Thomas Orgis (thomas-forum AT orgis.org) wrote [09.03.25 09:39]:
> > > I don't see the harm in doing it that way, and
> > > then you don't have to worry about breaking away from standard practice,
> > > since that would be standard.
> >
> > Right, but the harm would be that the default is broken... unless we make
> > the
> > the devel version the default. Hm, that would be an option, wouldn't it?
> >
> > Use last official release version (buggy, outdated) instead of tested
> > snapshot? [N/y]
> >
> > Would that fly (perhaps it's what you meant already)?
> > Note that I would take the word for it... I'd be inclineed to remove the
> > patches
> > from "stable" lesstif that are not build fixes. Though perhaps people
> > would
> > like me to stop at the CAN-2005-0605 fix ... hm, perhaps I'd just leave
> > it there.
>
> I like that as a solution, especially since the "stable" version does
> successfully build (even though it doesn't run properly). However, I'm
> not particularly couched in any particular solution, so whatever is
> deemed best is what should be done. I was just wondering if it might be
> better to use the solution mentioned above, since that seems to be more
> "standard practice" with how we do things.

I think in this case, going for the snapshots only is the better
solution. Strictly keeping with upstream defaults, even if it's
outdated, dead and broken, is doing more harm than good here.
Successful build is only half the requirement for a spell imo, it should
also actually run.

http://www.sourcemage.org