sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] openmotif

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] openmotif
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 11:33:39 +0100

Am Fri, 6 Mar 2009 11:12:57 +0100
schrieb Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>:

> ../../lib/Xm/.libs/libXm.so: undefined reference to `XpSetImageResolution'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/openmotif-2.3.1/tools/wml'

Wow, someone else does care about motif!
Hm, I should have opened a bug on this, but I'm silently working on
getting some motif to work for nedit.
Yes, openmotif is broken and I am not sure if one can make a patch for
it to get along without libXp like we have for lesstif.

Also, openmotif is not in the main grimoire, so there is some incentive
to get lesstif working. For nedit that means fixing several bugs in
lesstif 0.95 that have been introduced after 0.93 (which worked
better!).
I had some discussion about this on the nedit mailing list:
http://www.nedit.org/pipermail/discuss/2009-February/009992.html

The outcome is that we should go looking over to fedora/debian/... and
import patches for lesstif's issues.
The official upstream is dead, or at least dormant (just look at the
bug tracker) - so we will have to drop our upstream default policy for
some patching (like we already do) to not just have a building lesstif,
but also a _working_ one.
The nedit ML thread covers this in some detail...

I cannot promise a time schedule, but I'd do the bugfix
research/importing eventually. Treeve, if you want to be faster, just
tell me;-)

Alrighty then,

Thomas.